Check out some fun facts about pet ownership in the United States that you probably did not know of.
- How many pets are there in the United States? It's estimated that 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats are owned in the United States. Approximately 37-47% of all households in the United States have a dog, and 30-37% have a cat. (Source: APPA)
- According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, approximately 40% of pet owners learned about their pet through word of mouth.
- The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. 28% of dogs are purchased from breeders, and 29% of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues.
- More than 35% of cats are acquired as strays. (Source: APPA)
- According to the American Humane Association, the most common reasons why people relinquish or give away their dogs is because their place of residence does not allow pets (29%), not enough time, divorce/death and behavior issues (10% each). The most common reasons for cats are that they were not allowed in the residence (21%) and allergies (11%).
- Cageless pet boarding, dog boarding, pet nanny, dog kennel, dog sitting, cat sitting, pet training school and other pet care services are among the most popular services United States pet owners are looking for their pets.
- Private pet services are gaining a preference year on year with pet owners in the United states preferring other pet lovers for baby sitting their pets because of more personal attention and a cageless environment when they are at work or travelling with AirBnb where pet are not allowed.