10 human foods that are dangerous for dogs

10 human foods that are dangerous for dogs

Every dog owners knows that it is hard to resist sharing their food with their dogs,but while some human grubs are safe in small doses, others are downright dangerous for your pets. In fact, there are a lot of human food that you should never feed your dogs. Here are ten types of dangeours foods for dogs that every dog owners should know.

1. Grapes and associated products

Grapes are one of the most toxic human foods for dogs. Grapes can cause fatal kidney failure in dogs . Just a small portion of grapes can make dogs ill. 3.6 ounces (around three or four grapes) is enough to kill a 20-pound dog. If your dog has been affected, diagnosis and treatment is absolutely crutial. Some of the early symptoms of illness is vomiting over and over and loss of appetite.

grapes

2. Popcorn

Some flavoured popcorn may be relatively healthily with low amounts of salt and unbuttered. But let’s be sincere: how often are you enjoying those so called 'healthier popcorns'? Popcorn sold in the market are often cooked with various flavoring agents. These agents are dangerous to dogs as well as human beings. For dogs, high levels of fat and sodium, typically found in popcorn can lead to dehydration in the short term, and obesity in the long term.

popcorn

3. Avocado

Avocado contains Persin, an oil-soluble toxin that can be dangerous to mammals except humans. The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) claimed that pets who are sensitive to Persin may experience respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death.” If you realize that your dog have consumed avocado, call your veterinarian immediately.

advocado

4. Macadamia Nuts (usually found in cookies and chocolate)

Though there isn't any scientific proof that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs, several cases have been reported that they cause vomiting, ataxia (the loss of control of body movements), weakness, and depression in dogs. Fortunately, if your dog accidentally eats a macadamia nut, the chance of recovery is high.

macadamia nuts

5. Onion and garlic

Onions and garlic whether powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated, should be kept away from your dog because they can kill the dogs red blood cells, causing anemia (pallor and weariness) as a result of red blood cell deficiency. A small dose is probably fine, but a large dose can lead to severe poisoning.

onion and garlic

6. Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine products

According to the ASPCA, caffeine is a powerful stimulant that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness and an increased heart rate in pets, especially cats and dogs. Be mindful that cocoa, chocolate, colas, energy drinks and some cold medicines and pain killers could contain caffeine too.

coffee and teaPhoto by Phaedra cook

7. Milk and Other Dairy Products

Cheese is probably the most popular dog training treat. Few people realize that it's actually dangerous for dogs. Though milk and other dairy products are less dangerous to dogs compared to other food, too much of it can cause constipation or diarrhea in the short term, and in the long term, obesity and a lasting gastrointestinal issue.

milk and dairy products2
 

8. Candy, gums, mouthwash, toothpaste and baked goods

Candy, gums, mouthwash, toothpaste and baked goods contain Xylitol which acts as a sweetener. It can cause your dog's level of blood sugar to drop and lead to liver failure. In short, Xylitol is deadly to your dogs.

9. Chocolate

Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but exactly which ingredient is bad for dogs? As mentioned before, cocoa in chocolate contains caffeine which is dangerous for dogs. Another toxic component of chocolate is Theobromine. It can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death if a large amount of chocolate is taken.

chocolate

10. Alcohol

Last but not least, here is the last dangerous foods for dogs--alcohol. Not every dog owner realize that alcohol is actually extremely toxic towards dogs. Even a small amount of liquor, wine, or beer can inflict serious harm to dogs. Dogs can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, and even death if they take in a large amount of alcohol.

alcohol

It is okay to treat your dogs to a small piece of your food, but as a pet owner, you should be able to discern human foods dogs can and cannot eat. Make your dog’s health a priority. Take necessary measures to avoid any harm to your furry buddies.

image 2017 revised how petbacker works

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Get interesting tips and news about pets and PetBacker in your inbox.

 
 
newsletter