"In this town, we call home. Everyone hail to the pumpkin song" Sounds familiar? Yes! it's Halloween, the time of year when looking like a cast member from the Walking Dead is celebrated! And the one day when consuming mountains of chocolates and candies are encouraged. While this night may be a fun time for you, it's important to keep in mind that "Hallows Eve" can present some new dangers for your four-legged kid.
This year's Halloween more and more likely we will be celebrating Halloween at home and forgoing the typical door to door trick or treat event, it's time for Quarantine-o-ween.
If you're aware of the potential Halloween hazards, take the easy steps provided here. Your whole family will be far more likely to have a Halloween full of great memories. To help you gear up for the ghoulish holiday, we've compiled the potential hazards that you might not be aware of.
I'm sure you're not surprised that costumes is the first on the list. From clothes to small decorative items, some dogs are not willing to put on cute stuff just like how you wanted it to be, they might bite it off, chew it, and even worse, some dogs might even think that is edible. If your pet isn't loving it as you'd hoped they would, don't force it. Just take it off and think of other ways to incorporate your pets in the Halloween festivities.
Avoid Halloween masks
Masks can obstruct your pet's vision and their ability to breathe. This is true with brachycephalic dogs, a condition affecting short-nosed dogs which can lead to breathing problem. If your pet can't see well, they're also at great risk of getting injured, from leg twisted from stepping in a drain to getting struck by a passing car.
If you're trying to play beautician to your furball, look through the dyes to see whether they are pet friendly. Some dyes might cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction. If your furball licks it off, it might upset the gastrointestinal tract or there could end up being a certain amount of toxic in the stomach. Regardless of whether it's pet-safe, you should avoid applying dyes to the area like eyes and mouth.
Xylitol is a natural sugar alternative, it is more toxic to dogs than chocolates. Its usage is becoming common, and too many people are still unaware of the serious dangers that xylitol can do to a dog. Products such as hard candies, sugar-free candies, gum, and chocolates are just a few of the many types of products that contain xylitol.
If you have children at home, don't leave their candy on the ground, anywhere that's accessible to your dog. A small piece of gum contains enough xylitol to severely sicken or even kill a small dog.
If you're handing out xylitol products make sure they're locked away from your dogs. To be safe, we encourage not to give out any xylitol candies for Halloween. You may check the ingredient label behind those products to check if it's xylitol free.
Halloween or not, it is self-explanatory that chocolate is toxic for pets. This is because the concentration of theobromine, a caffeine-like compound found in chocolate, is higher the darker the chocolate is (i.e, the more cocoa the chocolate contains)
Yes, why raisins? Who even gives raisins as Halloween treats right? But if you were to come back with a box of raisins, put it at a higher shelf to keep it out of your dog's reach. Raisins, grapes and currants can potentially lead to kidney failure.
Spooky House? Jack the Pumpkin King?
Fake spider webs and other decors
Both dogs and cats tend to explore new things, and Halloween decoration can be one of them. A bored dog will do the same and explore old pumpkins, fake spider webs, small decor that's behind the backyard. Any of these common items can obstruct your pet's digestive tract, which requires costly and invasive surgery to remove.
Don't forget your Jack-o'-lantern! Clean it up before a curious 4 legged ghost eats it. Spoiled pumpkins can lead to digestive problems. If your pet has a weaker immune system it might lead to an emergency trip to the veterinarian.
Candles and Flame
Your conjuration ritual isn't going to summon any actual spirits. Now that you know, go ahead and ditch the candles. Curious pets can easily brush against the open flame of a candle, resulting in painful burns and possibly lighting your home on fire. If you were to light up candles, do not place it near a cloth or anything that can be lit up easily.
It only takes one paw to knock it over and cause a house fire. If you want to set the mood for Halloween, you can buy an LED candle to replace it.
PetBacker wishes you a happy and safe Quarantine-o-ween!